Saturday 19 April 2014

8 Reminders I’m a mature student

          As classes wrap up this week, followed by ten days of final exams, I catch myself reflecting on moments of humour and contemplation during the year when my age was obvious. It sometimes felt like a game of “one of these things is not like the other.” I felt old in class when…

1 …professors would frame the Mulroney Years (1984 to 1993) for students as a time long, long ago. I remember them well.

2 …it became clear I was among a handful in the class that meets Senate age eligibility (30+)

3 …jokes by profs about how our grandparents would react to our newfound legal thinking over Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner that didn’t make me laugh as much as my classmates. In those moments, I missed my now deceased Nana, Buppy, Grama and Grampa.

4. …I noticed classmates stealthily darting between social media sites and messenger apps on their laptops during gaps in a lecture, always of at least often with a sixth sense of when the professor says something relevant, then returning to their word doc to capture the idea. (I felt even older when visiting Facebook myself during lecture and then, transfixed on the content, surfacing moments later and wondering what the hell I’d missed that everyone was busy typing down; clearly I’m not as skilled a multi-tasker!)

5 …when professors patronizingly talk about expectations and standards “in the real world.” Having worked in “the real world” for the better part of a decade, it often took great willpower to keep from rolling my eyes.

6 …I routinely forgot that all our course materials are online through a secure portal. This online feature was not available in my first two undergrads. The ultimate in convenience!

7 …a professor, lecturing on liability in rental car agreements, asked if anyone in the room had rented a car before and five out of forty five hands were raised. WHAT!? Most of these kids haven’t rented a car before!?

8 ...a professor talks about the 70s then says we’re all too young to know about the 70s and my saucy classmate, Amber, seated in the front row, cranks her head around, makes eye contact with me and laughs. Busted.

3 comments:

  1. Exams are the important part of a student life, every student give exams, exams are necessary for the future education of students about custom assignment writing service, they can apply in universities after their exams and results, education is necessary for every student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about study process? How you manage to complete all college assignments? I just shared similar tips at ihatewritingessays.com and wonder what do you think about this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing a straightforward is terribly arduous job for several folks. the rationale is that the author must listen on each minutest detail just like the descriptive linguistics, punctuations, orthography and plenty of a lot of and even have to go looking lots on the subject of the http://best-essay-writing.services.

    ReplyDelete