Monday 23 September 2013

How Ashley Wagner got me through my First Day of Law School

          On September 3, I woke up at my usual 5:30am but with an unusual chutzpah: it was the first day of law school at UNB. The agenda provided in advance listed orientation-like activities including registration, a welcome lunch and greetings from the dean and members of the local legal community. Amidst the flurry of activity since arriving in Fredericton including moving into my apartment, buying pieces of furniture that we couldn’t shoehorn into the Flett-caravan and touring the city, I didn’t notice that it was also picture day. PICTURE DAY!? A shave and more meticulous clothing selection was quickly added to my morning To-Do list.

          But first, a run. UNB and my nearby apartment is situated close to the St. John River which curves through the city. Waterloo Row traces the shoreline, connecting the campus to downtown. I took in the impressive views along the river and from the Marysville bridge while the sun slowly rose upon Fredericton. Occasional raindrops reminded me of the typical Maritime weather. The jog was special as I anticipated the day. I imagined many more runs along this route, but none on a day with the same importance.
          
          Clean shaven and dressed – I opted for a jeans and a long-sleeved collared plaid shirt with sleeves rolled up; a little bit dressy, a little bit casual (this took considerable thought!) – I had time to spare before my walk to Ludlow Hall. Anyone who knows me knows of my obsession with figure skating, both as a participant and spectator. Without my TV cable installed, I flipped through some skating DVDs to fill the time and chose the 2012 US Nationals ladies final.

          Ashley Wagner won that year and I was both reminded of and motivated by her story. Wagner won bronze in 2008 with an impressive senior debut and fans next move. Botched performances in 2009, 2010 (Olympics) and 2011 kept her off the world team. Ashley put herself on a new path in 2012 with a new coach, new training centre, new artistic appreciation and more technical consistency. Given the changes in my life, I couldn’t help likening her path that season to the one I had chosen. I was desperately hopeful my choices would bring my own success: new friends, a sense of community in Fredericton and academic success in law school.

          My favourite split second in her long program was her mid-program landing of a triple loop (jump to 3:20). Provocatively, she attempted the jump directly in front of the judges, landing it with a fierce expression that oozed “look at me now, judges.” I committed that look of confidence to memory as I ventured to school.


          Climbing up the steep hillside campus on that rainy humid morning, I arrived at the law school breathless, flushed and sweaty. I wiped my face with my sleeve, took a deep breath and opened the front door of Ludlow Hall and stepped in, ready to take on the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment