Monday 16 September 2013

Sunny Signs

          Given my knack for finding meaning in even the simplest of events, I clung to the significance of the suddenly changing sky as I crossed the border from Quebec into New Brunswick days before UNB’s law school orientation week. As I made the crossing, the overcast morning quickly faded to radiant sunlight, illuminating the forest and hills that sprawled on either side of the Trans-Canada highway.




          I interpreted the change in weather conditions as a validation of the changes to my life in recent months. I took a deep breath of assurance. I have quit my PR job and packed up my life into two cars and a trailer, leaving behind my partner, family and friends in Toronto to attend law school at the University of New Brunswick's Ludlow Hall in Fredericton. Putting on my sunglasses, I squeezed the steering wheel of my new car and happily accelerated towards Fredericton spurred by the zippier New Brunswick highway speed limit: 110km per hour! I think I’m gonna like it here.


          I’m launching Boardroom2Classroom for a few reasons:
  • Filling the void. When I first began contemplating shifting gears in my professional life by applying to law school and becoming a lawyer, I couldn’t find much empirical research or anecdotal advice on a mature applicant’s considerations.
  • Take note. I’ve always envied journal keepers but I’ve never been one. When I see bound journals at bookstores and gift shops, I peruse them with interest, caressing the impressive covers and binding; flipping through the hundreds of blank pages waiting to be filled with everything from profound observations of life to inane thoughts. Apart from a few short term stints, long-term journaling hasn't stuck. I intend that this blog will obligate me to frequent and regular posts.
  • This is big! I’ve never thought of myself as someone who embraces change and yet I’m now in the process of the biggest change thus far in my life – and I’ve brought it all on myself! The observations and lessons I am likely to make and learn in my mid-thirties during this extraordinary lifestyle switch (leaving a successful PR management career to become a law school student; leaving the trappings of Toronto for charming-but-small Fredericton; leaving my diamond-precious support network of family and friends to a place with only five acquaintances – including four remote Facebook friends and the school’s admissions officer!) seem blog-worthy.
          Whatever sort of reader you are – from an aspiring or enrolled mature law student who purposefully found Boardroom2Classroom to an occasional reader that stumbled here – my commitment to you is the same: honesty (within reason - I'm not sabotaging my graduation by becoming the class gossip!). And be forewarned: there may be the occasional figure skating or Bold & the Beautiful soap opera analogy!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ted!

    Proud of you!

    Sending a hug and love,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete